Legalizing Your Stay

This information applies only to American citizens. We are happy to add material regarding other English-speaking countries, if someone with experience writes it up. Also, this would be a good time to review our Important Disclaimer, which notes among other points that we are not lawyers and that this information is subject to change at any moment. (Seriously, it may have just changed while you read that.)


Tourists and pilgrims


If you're an American coming here as a pilgrim or tourist; if this is your first trip to Europe in a while (a half-year or more); if you're visiting Europe for ninety (90) days or fewerand if you won't be making a second trip to Europe within a half-year of leaving for your present trip — you can stop reading. You're fine: all you need for your travels is a valid American passport.


Otherwise, or for an explanation, read on:



Other types of travelers


What if you are not in Greece to be a tourist or pilgrim? What if you are coming for a long stay, to attend the university or to work? In that case, you will need a visa appropriate to your purpose. You can apply for one from the Greek Consulate nearest to your permanent residence in America. Please note: You cannot get a visa in Greece. You must get it before you leave America. Really: you cannot work it out when you get here. (In particular, no matter what anyone may confidently tell or even promise you, no one from the University can arrange such a thing.)


A visa lasts for ninety (90) days. Once you are in Greece, you use the visa to apply for a corresponding residence permit, which lasts for a year or more. Thus, it is a two-step process. One step — the appropriate visa — is completed in America, while the other — the residence permit — is completed in Greece.


While in America




After arriving in Greece



Getting your Residence Permit (Άδεια Διαμονής)